Catalytic converter thefts increase
Special to the Enquirer
Catalytic converter thefts are on the rise in the county, according to the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office.
“Unfortunately, catalytic converters are a popular target of thieves – and they can be costly to replace,” the law enforcement agency shared in a post on Facebook. “It is part of your vehicle’s exhaust system and is located between the engine and the muffler, and it contains small amounts of valuable metals.”
The MCSO said thieves can reach under a vehicle, cut off the catalytic converter and be on their way in less than a few minutes.
Work vehicles or church vans are often targeted, but any vehicle is susceptible, the sheriff’s office said.
Here are a few tips provided by insurance providers to avoid becoming a victim of theft:
- Park in well-lit, visible areas of any parking lot.
- Use outdoor lighting.
- Engrave your VIN on the converter to make it traceable.
- Install security cameras.
- Install a vehicle alarm or anti-theft device.
- Pay attention to surroundings and report suspicious activity.