Commission approves enlargement of landfill
Morgan County Commission has approved the enlargement of the Decatur-Morgan County Regional Landfill at Trinity from its current maximum volume of 700 tons to 1,500 tons per day.
The move was made at a regular meeting on Nov. 22 after no comments were received at a public hearing on the request.
Landfill Director Ricky Terry told the commission the landfill is currently operating under its 700 tons per day limit but the time has arrived to renew its permit with the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).
“We could ask for 100 more tons per day,” he said. “but it makes more sense to go ahead and get permitted for 1,500 tons per day. “We’d like to have the space in reserve so it will be available when it is needed.”
Terry said the landfill has operated for about 30 years under its current daily volume limit.
• Approved payment of $2,063.40 to Trident Insurance Services for legal services regarding claims filed against the Morgan County Commission as follows: Joseph Arias (sheriff), $139.77; Horti-Tech Landscape (sheriff), $362,41; and Betty King (sheriff), $1,561,22.
• Approved payment of $4,092 to Harris, Caddell & Shanks P.C. for legal services performed in October, 2011.
• Approved payment of $397 to Peck-Glasgow Agency for a public official bond for Belinda Ealey, chief administrative officer, effective Nov. 18, 2011, through Nov. 17, 2012.
• Approved payment of $250 to the Economic Development Association of Alabama for membership dues for Ray Long, commission chairman, for 2012.
• Approved payment of $1,600 to Godwin, Barnett ,Woods Architects for architectural fees for the Morgan County Courthouse parking lot, payable out of the Capital Improvement Fund.
• Approved payment of checks totaling $6,297,881.32 for October, 2011.
• Approved a resolution clarifying the job title of director of Morgan County Animal Control as previously established under the Morgan County Classification System. The position is currently held by Claudia Ray.
• Adopted a resolution authorizing the chairman and county attorney to execute the FY2012 certifications and assurances for the Federal Transit Administration Assistance for federal funding for the pubic transportation programs administered by the Alabama Department of Transportation.
• Authorized Debra Rains, director of MCATS and the Commission on Aging, to hire substitute center managers and substitute drivers for MCATS at a pay rate of $7.95 per hours without benefits.
• Authorized the chairman to execute a 36-months lease agreement with Berney Office Solutions for a Zerox office copier for the Morgan County Commission on Aging at a cost of $168.33 per month per state bid list.
• Approved certificates to subdivide and/or consolidate as follows: Dewey and Esther Brown, Hwy 36, and Kenard and Annelle Brown, Hwy 67, both in District 4, and Rita Lindsey, N. Johnson Chapel Rd., District 2.
• Approved payment of $36,490.69 to West Morgan-East Lawrence Water and Sewer Authority for construction costs of relocating a water line on Highway 55, west, for a District 3 road project. The payment will be reimbursed by the Alabama Department of Transportation at the completion of the project.
• Approved payment of $17,421 to the Alabama Department of Transportation as a local match for a Union Hill guardrail project, the installation of which is expected to begin within the next two to three months.
• Authorized the chairman to transfer $3,600 from building rent to utilities under the budget for the Morgan City nutrition site.
• Authorized District 1 Commissioner Jeff Clark to fill the position of District Shop Laborer at a pay rate of $10,86 – $14.14 instead of filling a vacant Operator II position, saving $3.54 per hour.
• Approved payment of $175 to the International Association of Assessing Officials for membership dues for Amanda Scott, Morgan County revenue commissioner.
• Appointed Allen Perdue of Somerville to the Morgan County/Decatur Farmers Market Board for a 4-year term, effective Nov. 22, 2011, through Nov. 21, 2015.
• Reappointed Ray Durham to the Morgan County/Decatur Farmers Market Board, effective Nov. 22, 2011, through Nov. 22, 2015.
• Approved payment of $24,593 to National Roof Coaters for repair work repair at the USDA Service Center in Hartselle.
• Approved payment of $50 to the Alabama Association of Emergency Managers for membership dues for Dede Hayes, Morgan County Emergency Management Agency, effective Oct. 1, 2011, through Sept. 30, 2012.
• Approved payment of $150 to the Alabama Association of Emergency Managers for membership dues for Eddie Hicks, Rita Weeks and Johnny Cantrell, effective Oct. 1, 2012, through Sept. 30, 2012.
• Approved payment of $75 to the Alabama Association of Board of Registrars for Adonis Bailey, Louise Brown and Kate Terry for Oct. 2011 through Oct. 2012.