Ad Spot

Priceville falls short against West Morgan

PRICEVILLE – Shannon Shaw got his first win as a head coach with a little help from West Morgan eighth grader Uriel Marcilino.
Marcelino nailed a 32-yard field goal with 9:51 remaining in the game to help the Rebels knock off Priceville in the season opener for both teams Thursday night at Bulldog Stadium.
Shaw, who stepped in to replace Pierre Coggins after last season, was pleased with the win, but disappointed that the Rebels let several scoring chances get away.
West Morgan drove inside the 10-yard line but came away with just a field goal in the win.
“I really thought if we got some scores in the first half we could put the game out of reach,” Shaw said. “Priceville really got after us the whole game.”
The loss was the 10th straight for Priceville dating back to last season, but may have been one of the Bulldogs’ best recent performances. The nine points scored by the Rebels was the lowest offensive production by a team against Priceville since the 2007 season.
“We had a really rough first half,” said Priceville head coach Donald Weeks. “The second half, we did a lot better job, especially up front.West Morgan just made one more play than we did.”
Priceville led 7-6 in the first half after Chance Ellsworth teamed up with Spencer Scruggs on an 18-yard scoring pass in the second quarter.
The touchdown was the only points scored by the Bulldogs, though a drive just before the half ended at the West Morgan 4-yard line when Tanner Schell was brought down short of the goal line after catching a pass from Ellsworth. The drive was set up by a Joseph Hockett fumble recovery.
William Jackson gave West Morgan a 6-0 lead with a 19-yard touchdown run midway through the first quarter.
The Rebels added another drive inside the Priceville 20-yard line before the Bulldogs’ defense came up with an interception.
Nic Bell’s extra point following Ellsworth’s touchdown pass put the Bulldogs in front for the first time with 8:11 remaining in the half.
Priceville had a chance to go in front with just over three minutes left in the game, but a 31-yard field goal attempt went wide right.