How are we spending our time?
By Todd Barrier
How are we spending our time? Are we using our time to get closer to God?
If you are wondering why your relationship with God isn’t as strong as you’d like, maybe if you ask yourself some questions and do a little self-evaluation, you might be able to figure out how to spend your time better while getting closer to Him.
Here are a few questions that come to mind:
- How have you been spending your time? In the Bible we are told to set our mind on things above, Col. 3:2. Maybe you are spending too much time on the things of this world over things above.
- Have you been studying the Bible? In the Bible we are told to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, 2 Peter 3:18. This is the way we understand Him more: by studying His inspired Word! When we know Him better, we have a stronger relationship.
- Have you been praying? Communication is key. We are told to pray without ceasing in 1 Thess. 5:17. Prayer should be a constant part of our life with God.
- Have you been focusing on positive things? In Eph. 5:20 we are told to give thanks for all things. Being able to find positives even in negative situations is a clear sign of a good relationship with God.
- Have you been seeking godly things? We are told to seek God and His ways first, Matt. 6:33. Sometimes we are seeking things of this world over godly things. If we are seeking godly things daily, then the other four questions are easily answered and dealt with properly.
So, if you want to get closer to God, do some reflection on how you are spending your time in relation to God. How are you spending your time?