Ad Spot

Hartselle man takes multiple pistol shots, murder suspect bonds out

By Marian Accardi

For the Enquirer

A Hartselle man died after being shot in both legs, once in the lower abdomen and once in the left shoulder early June 20 with a Ruger LCP .380 semiautomatic pistol, according to an affidavit by a Morgan County Sheriff’s Office investigator.

The Huntsville woman charged with murder in the shooting of Demetres Orr, 38, was booked into the Morgan County Jail Monday of this past week after she turned herself in to the sheriff’s office, said MCSO spokesman Mike Swafford.

Kellie Monroe Hurley, 37, who was being held in lieu of $150,000 bail, was released after posting bond Monday, court records show.

Investigator Joey Clark wrote in an affidavit, filed in Morgan County District Court, that deputies were dispatched to 1221 Lane Road, Hartselle, Sunday at about 2:21 a.m. The original call went out as a subject possibly having a seizure.

When deputies arrived, they found a man, later identified as Orr, sitting on the ground and partially propped up on a gold car in the driveway, Clark wrote in the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Deputy Bethaney Betterton said after observing Orr’s body, she spoke to ambulance personnel at the scene, who advised her it appeared Orr had been shot several times with a firearm and was deceased.

The affidavit states the homeowner told Betterton he woke up to “the sound of gunshots,” walked outside and saw Orr and Hurley arguing. The homeowner heard Orr telling Hurley: “Give him the gun, I’m already bleeding.”

According to the affidavit, the homeowner went back inside the house to put on some clothes and when he returned outside, Hurley was gone, and Orr, who was lying on the ground, asked him to call 911.

Orr’s brother, Walter Orr, said the shooting occurred at their father’s home, and now the family must pass by the spot where “he took his last breath.”

“My father just buried his wife in April, not even four months ago, and then had to come out here and hold his son in his hands ‘til he died – on Father’s Day,” Walter Orr said Tuesday. “He hasn’t even grieved over his wife and now has to bury his son.”

No attorney was listed for Hurley in court records.

Walter Orr recalled that his brother, who had a 16-year-old son and a stepdaughter, was “always willing to help someone. He was always making somebody laugh.

“He loved life.”

Walter Orr, who said his brother and Hurley were dating, said he was disappointed a bail was set for her.

“She came onto private property, at my father’s house, and murdered my brother in my dad’s driveway and then left the scene,” Orr said. “I’m not going to have no peace until I know justice was served.”