Falkville approves $2.3 million budget
Falkville Town Council approved a $2,339,570 general fund budget for FY 2019-2020 at a regular meeting Sept. 9.
“We anticipate revenues and expenditures being about the same as they were this past year,” said Mayor Ken Winkles. “Revenues are projected to exceed expenditures by $73,515.”
The budget, which becomes effective Oct. 1, includes a one-step pay increase and a 1 percent cost of living adjustment for employees, subject to the action of the council at midyear.
A breakdown of projected expenditures is as follows:
- administration, $443,595
- court, $186,114
- police, $554,690
- fire, $48,750
- special gasoline fund, $215,550
- water and sewer, $575,119
- public works, $242,267
The council also approved purchases totaling $15,053.29 for police officers.
Replacement body armor for seven officers was approved at a cost of $5,319.79, with a payment of $2,279.91 due in FY 2018/2019 and the remainder coming due in FY 2019/2020. Six hand-held radios were approved at a cost of $9,733.50, with equal payments coming out of FY 2018/2019 and FY 2019/2020 budgets.
Seven employees received long service awards from Winkles: Jeff Pike, 14 years; Jill Walling, nine years; Aaron Burgess, nine years; Seth Sullivan, six years; William Riley, four years; Kay Saint, three years; and Lance Stidham, three years.
The council also:
- Approved the renewal of a one-year contract with the Morgan County Emergency Communications District for $2,010.89 per month
- Approved the purchase of a sewer line camera for approximately $8,500
- Approved an updated Personnel Position/Grade Analysis Scale
- Declared a printer and other items in the utilities department as surplus property and authorized their disposal
- Authorized police officer Levi George to attend the APOST Refresher Academy at a cost of $2,221.90
- Approved a contract with the Morgan County Board of Education for an SRO for Falkville schools
- Approved a contract renewal with the USGS Department of Interior for a gauging station at Flint Creek Bridge on Highway 55 for $15,500
- Approved a payment of $44,236 to Peck-Glasgow Insurance Co. for annual liability insurance
- Appropriated $5,000 each to Falkville High School and Falkville Elementary School for updates to video camera systems