College sports round-up March 1
• For the second consecutive week, North Alabama’s Breanna Riley has been tabbed Gulf South Conference Pitcher of the Week. The freshman from Hartselle picked up the award on Tuesday after earning two victories in three appearances over the weekend while the Lions participated at the UAM 5-State Classic in Bentonville, Ark. After dropping her first start of the season against host Arkansas-Monticello, Riley followed with two solid performances against Oklahoma Panhandle and Missouri S&T, allowing just four hits over 13.2 innings of work. For the weekend, she totaled 30 strikeouts. In the win over OPSU, she tossed 4.2 innings of one-hit relief, striking out 11 in a 7-6 victory. She ended her week with a nine-inning, 9-3 win over Missouri S&T, allowing just four hits with 13 strikeouts to lift her record to 5-1 on the year. This season, Riley leads the GSC in strikeouts (53) and opponent batting average (.156) while posting the second-best earned run average (1.15).
• Ashley Bonner is the leading hitter for North Alabama with a .385 average with three home runs, a triple, three doubles and 9 RBI. She has a .744 slugging percentage and has started all 12 games for UNA.
• Meghan Gray has started five of the six games she’s played for UNA this season. She currently has a batting average of .333 with 4 RBI and a on-base percentage of .444. On the mound, she has three appearances with one start, 6 2/3 innings pitched, a 1-0 record and a 4.20 ERA.
• Hartselle’s Katie Gentle finished 3-for-4 in a 9-0 win for Wallace State (17-4) over Indian Hills (Iowa) CC in home opener. She finished with a two-run homer, three RBIs, three runs scored and a stolen base.
• JUCO Transfer infielder Walt Ashwander from Hartselle produced a bases loaded, walk off RBI single to give Alabama A&M an 8-7 win in game two of a doubleheader with Tuskegee. He has currently started in all nine of his appearances and has a batting average of .241 with a double and 4 RBI.
• Kayla Orr has started all 13 games for the UAB Blazers. She has a .300 batting average, with a double, 4 RBI and a 2 runs scored.
• Chandler Orr has started one game in nine games played for UAB. She’s had two walks and scored twice on the season.
If you would like to report statistics or highlights of other local college players, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.