Weather slows HHS construction
The wet and cold weather of the last couple of weeks has slowed construction of the new Hartselle High School.
At its regular meeting Monday night at the current high school building, the Hartselle Board of Education received an update from Martin and Cobey Construction, which is overseeing the project.
School Superintendent Dr. Mike Reed said construction is about a week behind.
“We’ve had a lot bad weather lately, and that’s put them behind schedule,” Reed said. “They believe they will be able to make it up once the weather gets better and will be able to get back on schedule.”
Reed said the contractors believe they will still be able to meet the December 2012 completion date.
In other business, the board:
• had the final reading and approved revisions to two school policies.
• approved continuous improvement plans for all five of the district’s schools. This is a plan for instructional improvement.
• awarded its copier paper contract to Strickland Companies in Birmingham for $28.60 per case.
• granted unpaid family medical leave leave to Cresline third grade teacher Nona Livingston through Jan. 13, 2012.
• approved employment for Janice Parker (child nutrition at HJHS), Elaine Holsonback (child nutrition at HJHS), Larry Peck (P.E. at HHS) and Brenda Lee (instructional aide at HJHS) for the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year.
• approved employment of 21st Century Positions: Sherry Calvert – program director; Lisa Halbrooks and Sherry Harrison – site directors; Shelia Banks, Beth Balch, Alyson, Blackmon; Jonathan Bragwell, Sarah Bragwell, Ginny Carden, Beth Emerson, Tara Hamlett, Rita Jackson, Amy Keel, Suzanne Mozley, Carol Powell, Rose Stansberry, Amy Wallace, Kristy Wiley, Sally Woodall and Tanya Watson – teachers/tutors; Meghan Emerson – college aide; Brit Douthit, Tori Halbrooks, Jesi Livingston and Shelby Ray – high school aides; and substitutes may be any current employee of Hartselle City Schools or any person on the current Hartselle City Schools Substitute list for 2011-2012 school year.
• approved volunteer coaches for HHS track and field, Marvin Mack, and HHS boys soccer, Byron Faulkner, pending background clearance.