Morgan BOE elects Wallace as chairwoman
A change in leadership took place on the Morgan County Board of Education last week as Carolyn Wallace was elected chairwoman without opposition and newcomer board member Jeff McLemore was named vice chairman.
No other nominations were offered during the election process and both received the unanimous support of fellow board members.
After taking the chairman’s seat, Wallace announced that she will be a voting chairwoman and pledged to do her best to serve the best interests of all students.
Superintendent Bill Hopkins reported that board member tours of school facilities went well last week.
“I thought the tours were very beneficial and a lot was accomplished,” Hopkins stated. “Our task is a daunting one but there’s no doubt in my mind that our school system is moving in a positive direction.”
“I was impressed with how clean the schools were,” said board member Jeff McLemore. “Also, the lunchrooms were functioning well and teaching was taking place in the classrooms.”
“We’ve come a long way as far as our facilities are concerned,” added Carolyn Wallace. “Things look great now compared to how they looked a few years ago. We still need new school facilities in Falkville and Priceville but there was a time not long ago when we needed eight new schools.”
“I thought what we saw gave us a good vision of what our needs are going to be five to 10 years down the road,” said board member Paul Holmes. “I think our maintenance is doing as good job with limited resources but we need to keep pushing for improvements that are needed. As far as technology is concerned, if we stand still, we are gong to get behind.”
In other natters the board acted as follows:
• Approved a field trip request from Brewer High School to allow out-of-state travel for 20 robotics team members Mar. 14-17, 2012. Team members from Brewer, West Morgan, Danville, Priceville and Falkville will travel top the Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga. to compete in a regional robotics competition.
• Approved low bids from CDI Inc. as follows: refurbished desktop computers with monitor (five year parts warranty), $390 each; refurbished student laptop (three years parts warranty); $390 each; and refurbished teacher laptop (three year parts warranty), $795.
• Authorized the superintendent to act as agent for the board when dealing with appraisers, realty companies and others in regard to the Ryan School property and the Central Office property.
• Approved a contract for services with Applied Behavioral Concepts Inc., effective Sept. 16, 2011.
• Approved the 2011-2012 local school media center procedures and policies manual.
• Approved a job description for an end user computer technician/trainer.
Personnel changes recommended by the superintendent and approved by the board are listed as follows:
• Accepted notice of retirement from Gary Lemmond, assistant bus shop foreman at the central office, effective Dec. 1, 2011.
• Accepted notice of retirement from Cecil Bomar, a mechanic at the central office, effective Nov. 30, 2011.
• Accepted the resignation of Kenneth Golden, a countywide bus driver, effective Oct. 1, 2011.
• Approved Chris Martin as a countywide bus driver, effective Nov. 9, 2011, through the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year. He is replacing Janice Maresh who resigned.
•Approved Stewart Terry s a countywide bus driver, effective Nov. 9, 2011, through the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year. This is a new position.
• Approved Charles Anthony Annerton as a countywide school nurse (LPN), effective Nov. 9, 2011. He is replacing Cherie Sanford who retired.
• Approved a family medical leave of absence without pay for Michelle Crow, countywide SPE support staff, effective Oct. 31, 2011, through Nov. 30, 2011.
• Approved an educational leave of absence without [pay for Amy Crow, countywide SPE support staff, effective Jan. 3, 2012, through April 27, 2012.
• Approved a catastrophic leave of absence for Christy Marshall, as needed, countywide SPE support staff, effective Nov. 1, 2011, through Jan. 23, 2012.
• Approved the transfer of Cindy Parker for countywide preschool aide to countywide SPE support staff, effective Nov. 9, 2011. She is replacing Connie Morrow who retired.
• Approved a catastrophic leave of absence for Bill Partridge, countywide bus driver, effective Dec. 1, 2011, through May 25, 2012.
• Accepted a notice of retirement/resignation from Kenny Allen, countywide bus driver, effective Nov. 30, 2011.
• Approved a homebound contract for Brooke Thedford, effective Oct. 24, 2011 to Dec. 2, 2011. She will serve as a homebound instuctor for an eligible student on contract.
• Accepted the resignation of Crystal Herring, a bus aide at Danville Elementary School, effective Nov. 1, 2011.
• Accepted the resignation of Nancy E. Thompson, assistant CNP manager at Eva School, effective Nov. 1, 2012.
• Accepted notice of retirement from Rene Stiles, kindergarten teacher at Eva School, effective Jan 1, 2012.
• Approved a request for a catastrophic leave of absence from Gloria Brooks, a custodian at Falkville High School, effective Oct. 7, 20911, through Oct. 28, 2011.
•Accepted notice of retirement from Gerald Holmes, math/health teacher at Falkville High School, effective Dec. 1, 2011.
• Approved Jeremy Holloway as a 7-12 math teacher at Falkville High School, effective Dec. 1, 2011. He us replacing Patty Annerton who is retiring.
• Approved Halley Winton as a 2nd grade teacher at Lacey’s Spring School, effective Dec. 1, 2011 through the end of the 2011-2012 school year. She is replacing Traci Smith who resigned.
• Accepted notice of retirement from Linda Bomar, custodian at Sparkman School, effective Nov. 30, 2011.
• Accepted notice of retirement form Barbara Morgan, secretary at Sparkman School, effective Nov. 30, 2011,
• Approved the transfer of Ethel Turney from bus aide at Sparkman School to countywide bus driver, effective Nov. 9, 2011. She is replacing Janice Alldredge who retired,
• Approved Melanie Dickerson as general science teacher at West Morgan High School, effective Nov. 9, 2011 through the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year.
• Approved request for extended family medical leave f absence without pay for Celisa Dooley, teacher at Union Hill School, effective Oct. 17, 2011, through Oct. 28, 2011.
• Approved transfer of Debbie Seal from assistant CNP manager to CNP manager at West Morgan Elementary School, effective Jan. 1, 2012. She is replacing JoAnn Cottingham who is retiring.