Ad Spot

Blaze damage

By Staff
Cause of fire thought to be electrical
Tracy B. Cieniewicz, Hartselle Enquirer
Fire engulfed part of a home on the east side of town Friday forcing residents to temporarily relocate and permanently part with a few special belongings.
Hartselle Fire and Rescue responded to the call shortly before 2 p.m. at 506 Penny Lane. Hartselle Police said the structure was fully involved when firefighters arrived less than two minutes later.
"The firemen saved most of the house and the belongings inside by responding so quickly," HPD Officer Chad Guest said. "The flames were extinguished within a minute or two after they arrived."
The fire was believed to originate in the laundry and storage area of the house, which is primarily separated from the main part of the house and connected to the carport. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.
Although no injuries were reported, American Ambulance EMTs examined an adult female who was in the house with her teenage daughter when the fire started. The daughter said she and her mother smelled smoke, went outside to investigate and discovered smoke billowing from the laundry room.
The laundry and storage area was destroyed by the fire, but firefighters said the main portion of the house sustained mostly smoke and heat damage. The mother and daughter salvaged belongings from the house and made plans to stay with family until the house can be repaired.
The daughter said the room lost in the fire was used to store the belongings of her recently deceased grandmother.
"It's hard to see this," the teary-eyed teenager said as firefighters shoveled charred remnants of her grandmother's furniture and memorabilia into the yard.